Kayak and snorkel the sensational central Maui coastline for about four hours on this intermediate adventure. This tour is for advanced and adults paddlers only.
- Our Most Popular Tour!
Turtle Reef Discovery
Public tour size: Limited to 20 people on tour
Included: Guide, snorkel gear, kayak rental, dry bags, small snack/beverages
Please bring: Extra snacks, water (hydration is critical!)
Please Note: This trip becomes the Whale watch South also during Dec. 20 – April 15
- Turtle Reef Discovery
- Public Tour Starting Price (Ages 5+ years)
- Private Tour Starting Price (Ages 5+ years)
- South Maui Shore Explorer
- Private Tour Up to 4 people
- Additional Person Private Tour
- Public Tour Per Person
A Must-Do Kayaking & Snorkeling Experience in Maui!
Turtle Reef Discovery - 3 or 4 Hour Options
This kayak and snorkel tour leaves you with lasting memories of Maui fun and adventure! Discover wild sea turtles on a three or four-hour tour, perfect for beginners and the whole family. We have three morning trips which all have slightly different requirements and details, so please view the chart below to choose which trip would be best for you and your group!
Makena Bay Kayaking & Snorkeling
Makena Bay is our kayaking and snorkeling destination, famous for the green sea turtle population and exceptional paddling conditions. Not far from Makena Landing is an area called Turtle Town, home to a high concentration of Hawaiian green sea turtles (honu). It is also common to see rays and dolphins as well as the Hawaiian monk seal here. During whale season (October through April), you have the opportunity to see humpback whales during their annual migration to the islands to mate and give birth.
There is nothing quite as spectacular as Makena in South Maui.
Our South Maui Premier tour is a great trip for those looking for a full morning of kayaking and snorkeling in Maui’s beautiful south coast. If you’re looking for more water time, snorkeling, and sunshine, this 4.5-mile paddle is the perfect trip for you.
For both our private and public trips, you can expect a great day of kayaking, exceptional snorkeling, reef life, beautiful corals, and turtles everywhere. Enjoy the scenic areas along Makena with epic views of Haleakala, and snorkel up to three different locations. We adjust this trip to either be more kayaking or more snorkeling (group vote), and more than likely, it’s a unanimous decision depending on the conditions of the day.
Our full-time guides show you all of the underwater spectacles themselves, as we are the only snorkeling outfitter that guarantees our staff gets right in the water with you. They anchor the boats, gear you up, and provide a reef tour — pointing out marine life and sharing some tales of yesteryear and Hawaiian legend all through the tour. Service is the difference, and we pride ourselves on personal attention and first-class service.
- Enjoy small groups while snorkeling for three or four hours in crystal clear waters that are almost 80 degrees, all set against the backdrop of the stunning West Maui mountains and Haleakala.
- Anyone hungry? At the end of the Discovery tour, enjoy some wonderful shoreline snacks and beverages!
*We always recommend that “big eaters” pack some additional rations if you are so inclined. Additionally, all guests should bring a bottle of water for themselves, as hydration is a critical element to a fun day here on Maui.
- As long as your kids are aged 5 or above, you can bring them along to participate in all the fun! By the same token, however, don’t make the mistake of thinking this is a just a kiddie trip.
- The trip is primarily designed for adults kayaking for the first time or simply looking for a laid back kayak and snorkel combination adventure. The whole family is able to come, as we have kayaks that can hold one, two, or even three people (if the third person is a child seated between adults).
- See tons of turtles, beautiful tropical fish in a stunning array of colors, and perhaps some dolphins. In the winter, we’re also joined by the humpback whales down from Alaska.
- All of the underwater life is framed by beautiful, calm, and warm indigo waters that surround the Hawaiian Islands, and it’s particularly lovely in the Makena region.
- Our small staff of guides carries years of experience, and they are the best in the business, bar none. They give you instruction on correct paddling and snorkeling techniques, and they are right in the water alongside you all day.
- Throughout your time with us, they regale you with stories, legends, and local knowledge, all delivered with the charm, energy, and charisma that only our staff offers.
- This is their full-time job, and many of our guests come back each year from places as far away as Japan and England just to get in the water with our guides again.
- Makena bay is a paddler’s dream, with great ocean conditions, excellent reef systems, and exceptional scenery all around. It’s a beautiful area, with Molokini in the distance, the island of Kahoolawe as a backdrop, and miles and miles of beautiful ocean surrounding it all. Popular with SCUBA divers, stand-up paddlers, OC1, and kayak fishermen, this area has something for everyone.
- Did we mention the Hawaiian green sea turtle? This area is host to a very large population of honu (local term for turtle), and they are magnificent creatures. They are everywhere here!
- A very popular snorkeling destination, Makena is a gem found in South Maui, and it’s our very favorite spot.